Monday 21 May 2012

and if you ever think of me kneel down and kiss the earth, show me what this thought is worth

as I left the US embassy on Friday, as an official peace corps volunteer,  I couldn't help but reminisce how incredible it is to think that in March I was partying with my friends at my going away party, skyping my significant other goodbye, and hugging my parents as I departed for an unknown world. I awoke from a nap  and suddenly it hit me- this small rural Jamaican town would now be my home for the next two years.  I now sit here at my new school, as a guidance counselor, searching the internet for new HIV session ideas. My small basement dwelling, limited cell service and the mountains and people of the Trelawny parish are my new reality now. I have lost many connections to the US, but have gained many new ones here in Jamaica. As I hand wash my clothing, bathe in a basin and listen to Frank Sinatra far too loudly, I sometimes think of the people I miss at home. I wonder what they are doing, if they are thinking of me across the lonely carribean. It is a lonely reality, my peace corps existence, far removed from the cultural festivals and hikes to dams and natural ropes swings we attended in stonyhill, far removed from other volunteers, and even further removed from my American existence--  but I plan to put my all into my work. My work which happens to be cut out for me with the high teen pregnancy rate here at my school, conflict resolution consisting of a push or shove, and many of the teachers seemingly burnt out. I have been here about four days and have little idea of how my day to day school life will look, as there are various projects that pull my attention in different directions. There is a feeding program that requires a school farm which I feel passionate about, a community service club called white cross that has requested my assistance, and various guidance activities that are extremely necessary. The ambiguity of my work is a challenge but also a strength, because I am able to set up my existence here at the school in any way I see fit-- either teaching full classes with my counterpart, doing pull outs or one and one counseling. Only time will present the best practices. As for now I plan on  teaching my first classes tomorrow-- I have an HIV hot potato game planned, and am working on creating an HIV monopoly board game as well as figuring out how my conflict resolution class will look. I will try to update this tomorrow after I have my first set of classes-- wish me luck. One love, D

No comments:

Post a Comment